Saturday, May 25, 2013

Can Spinal Injections Stop My Back Pain?


spinal stenosis



The thought of someone sticking a needle in my spine does not thrill me. Especially when the needle looks like something youwould use on a horse instead of a human. But if a spinal injections can stop the back pain and let me return to a normal life I am ready to try it. If this sounds like you and you are desperately seeking a way to stop your back from aching then read on.

So exactly what is a spinal injection? Basically a needle is inserted into the epidural space surrounding your vertebra and a solution of anti-inflammation medication and or steroid is injected into the space. The idea is to block the pain, give you some relief and give your doctor a better idea of what the problem is. Although not as invasive as surgery there are risks and you should discuss these with your doctor.

In my case I decided not to opt for the injections. I based this on a three reasons.

1. I don't like needles! Seriously two of my friend had injections. For one the pain returned two days after the shot was given and for another he was pain free for six months, but eventually had to get another shot.
2. In my specific case surgery was the best option.
3. The shot may bring relief for awhile, but it doesn't cure what ever is causing the pain.

This being said the procedure is effective in temporarily stopping the pain. Once this is done then the next thing is to begin physical therapy or an exercise system to take care of the underlying condition. One of the top rated programs is called the Lose The Back Pain System developed by therapists and doctors of the Healthy back Institute. This program has helped thousands by strengthening muscles and eliminating muscles imbalance.

As someone who has suffered with a bad back and who has endured months of physical therapy and an operation, I can tell you there are solutions for your discomfort. To help myself and others cope with an aching back I have created a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment